Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Time to be Politically Correct

We've all had those moments where we're just goofing around with friends and start saying things that we know are inappropriate and rude, but in the heat of the moment it's hysterical. It doesn't mean you're a bad person or have bad intentions, it means you're human. It probably also means you've got a sick sense of humor like I do. Cheers to that! I also can't stand the stereotypical soccer mom that has to whine and complain that something offended her sweet little nugget of obnoxiousness and takes everything to court so she can keep her Gucci bag and Oscar-De-La-Renta shoes while sipping martinis and doing nothing to help society. USUALLY (I'd say at least 98% of the time) I say "If you don't like it, leave" (or don't read it, listen to it etc) and allow others to have their moment of joviality.

However, there are some things that I see or hear and I'm BEYOND appalled. Generally, I'm the last one to get offended over things that have a double meaning and LOVE finding things that do. BUT today I found myself appalled and disgusted at a slogan.

Generally speaking, Breast Cancer awareness means pink EVERYWHERE. I hate the color pink. Always have, always will. I think it's great people are out trying to raise awareness and money for those who need it most and all while building bonding relationships during a time when moral support is as necessary as treatment. BUT there are way too many companies that slap their logo brand with a pink ribbon and say to the consumer "Look how great we are because of this! Buy more!" and donate maybe a penny per purchase to the actual funding. It also makes me nauseous that not only are these companies cashing in on people who are in dire need of assistance, but they are companies whose products have NOTHING to do with the illness themselves. M&M's? Trash cans? Shoes? Seriously people, get a clue. You don't need to buy products like this. If anything, it's one more way to tell the world "I'm a good person, see my pink cup, purse, walkie-talkie, tiara etc?" - you've just become like the companies out there want you to be: a consumer-schmuck who just buys junk that doesn't actually help anyone.

BEFORE YOU SEND HATE MAIL READ THIS: I'm not saying there AREN'T any products out there that DON'T donate a generous amount of money to whatever they say they are funding. I'm just saying it's extremely rare.

Anyhow, enough ranting. Here is what started this post in the first place:
http://www.pumpkinmasters.com/index.asp

Their slogan? "Carving For A Cause".... ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME!?!?! Who thought THAT was a good idea when women are having their breasts cut off to save their lives everyday??

I'm horrified to the point I can't even put into words on this one. All I did was send a message at the "Contact Us" area voicing my concern. I think it might be a wise idea for you to do the same if you feel at all like I do.

In the meantime, keep your jokes "clean" without using people who are in situations that could kill them. It's not funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment